Statement Staples: Luxx Ready-to-Wear

Contributed by Emma Callin

A few months ago this article was circulating on social media, comparing how a male television anchor could get away with wearing the same suit for a year but a female anchor could not.  While I do agree that it is a failing of our society that a woman is usually assessed on what she looks like before her ability to do her job, many women would simply be uncomfortable to do as George Clooney did at the Golden Globes and repeat an event outfit or statement piece.  

I have always felt this attitude to be a bit unfortunate considering the price of many such outfits, yet I am also aware of the fact that re-purposing clothing bought for a specific look or event is difficult.  In
order to provide some inspiration for different ways to style statement or event clothing, I present our first post on "Statement Staples", featuring my statement vest and Chantal's party skirt from Luxx Ready-to-Wear.    

Basic sweaters in solid, neutral colours with blue jeans are usually my canvas for any statement piece.  When the weather's warmer I swap a long-sleeved t-shirt for the turtleneck.  

For a more business-like look, a blouse with black trousers is my go-to outfit.  I like to add a statement necklace in silver and clear crystal for sparkle that doesn't compete with the vest.  

Of course, a little black dress is also a great way to showcase this vest!  I prefer a fitted, shorter-length dress that doesn't interfere with the movement of the vest as I walk.  

This look is inspired by this photo from one of the blogs I follow.  I really enjoy the sparkle of the sequin skirt with the relaxed, casual vibe.  

Another look inspired by a blog I follow, pairing this skirt with a long tunic is a fun way to add texture and shine to a colour-blocked outfit.  

A soft jersey top in a complementary colour helps to dress down the skirt while the tooled leather of the bag brings out its texture.  

Instead of re-purposing your event or statement outfits, you can also use them again at another event - throw an event of your own and PARTAY!! ^_^  


All photos courtesy of: 

Comments

Popular Posts