Things We Love Thursday: Inter-disciplinary inspiration

Contributed by Emma Callin

I must confess - I have a terrible phobia of driving!  While this might mean that I've needed to come up with methods of layering usually reserved for arctic expeditions to survive public transit in winter, it has also led to a deep appreciation for the form and function of automobiles.  Odd, I know, but studying and understanding a subject helps to deal with my fear of it!  Super cars especially have always interested me, and while I don't desire to drive one they have influenced me in many ways, even in the way I dress.  


This is not as far-fetched a concept as you might think.  The Pagani Huayra (pictured above) is a perfect example of how "art and science are disciplines that must walk together hand-in-hand", a quote from Leonardo da Vinci that is used in the video about the development of the car.  The exhaust system of this car in particular is - in my mind - breathtakingly beautiful.  


That gorgeous colour and texture is produced through heat treatment of polished titanium; coloured metals can also be created through anodization and plating.  After a period of nerdy enthusiasm for how awesome the Huayra's technology is (which may or may not involve jumping up and down in excitement), my next thought is about how to incorporate some aspect of this into an outfit.  Coloured metal jewellery is an obvious option, though capturing some of that colour and shine in a silk scarf is more appealing to me.  


Of course, recreating the look with nail polish is also fun, and an easy way to add colour to an outfit!  
What inspires your fashion sense? 

Comments

Popular Posts