How to GO RED for Lunar New Year

Contributed by Emma Callin

Happy Year of the Sheep!  Best wishes for the coming year and hoping that the previous year wasn't baaaaaaad.  Sorry, I know that was a corny joke - now I'm feeling sheepish.  ^_~*


To me this time of year is always one for celebrating with family, which usually means a lot of good food with the whole family dressed in different shades of red.  It also used to be when I could ask all my older, married relatives for money - a tradition that sadly no longer applies to me now that I'm married (only unmarried people get red packets containing Chinese New Year money).  Now I have to give money instead!  Of course, given that my two-year-old nephew is so adorable I have no problem with spoiling him a little more...

For those whose families don't follow this tradition, there are still ways to "go red" for lunar new year.  Probably the easiest (and tastiest) way would be to go out for dim sum or hot pot with your friends and family, but don't forget to wear red!  According to Chinese folklore, the colour red repels demons and ghosts and is therefore an auspicious colour.

If you're looking for something red to wear, the American Heart Association and (RED) both have a wide range of red-coloured products for sale to help fund the fight against heart disease and AIDS worldwide - and as an added bonus they also ward off demons!  ;p

The Red Dress Collection was showcased just last week, and while it's highly unlikely any of the gorgeous designer outfits from the runway will be available for purchase, you can still buy products that help fund Go Red for Women.

The (RED) Manifesto states that "We all have tremendous power. What we choose to do or even buy, can affect someone’s life on the other side of the world."  Help end AIDS by buying (RED) products.

Comments

Popular Posts