PARKSHOW: Calgary 2015

Contributed by Emma Callin

Parking lots do not, in general, hold a great deal of interest for most people other than whether or not there are spaces available - especially at a mall on a busy Saturday.  So when Chinook Centre's underground parkade was chosen as the site of PARKSHOW 2015, I was curious about how they would re-purpose such a seemingly boring, utilitarian space full of concrete and metal into a backdrop for fashion and design.  


The answer was iridescent cellophane, white tissue paper, and a LOT of glitter!  Cling film was stretched between pillars to divide the area without detracting from the sheer sense of space, which is where I felt I was despite the decor being intended to evoke "an ocean-swept paradise".  The blue lighting sparkling on the glitter spread over the the concrete floor made me feel like I was in outer space and had landed on a particularly fashionable planet.  

Photo credit: Doug Wong

White tissue paper roses 'bloomed' on the pillars around the runway, with its front row relocated to a row of benches in the middle of the runway itself.  Among the designers showing were some of my old favourites such as Bano eeMee, Luxx Ready to Wear and Coutu Kitsch, as well as new loves like Lennard Taylor and Eliza Faulkner.  A number of stores from Chinook Centre like Eileen Fisher and Oak + Fort also contributed to the fashion show.  

Check out more Instagram pics at #PARKSHOW2015!

And what did I wear?  Nicole Bridger's Thankful dress and John Fluevog Nefertiti heels!  Despite the added four inches I still look so short standing next to my husband... ^_^;

Photo credit: Doug Wong

Comments

Popular Posts