Designer Snapshot: Miik

Contributed by Emma Callin

I've mentioned before that while some of us can trust our partner's opinion when it comes to getting dressed, the average woman would probably scoff at the idea of her spouse designing and making her clothes. However, that's exactly how Miik got started: co-founder Michael Gaughan became fascinated with sustainable fabrics and thought it would be pretty cool to design a sustainable clothing line!  He credits his wife, Donna, with taking the company to the next level; we got in touch with her to ask her a bit more about what keeps her creative juices flowing.  

What's the story behind your company name? 
"Mick is Michael’s childhood nickname. We just couldn’t get the same spelling so we had to be creative!"

"Wearing my favourite dress from last spring - the Kelly dress." 

Who are your style icons?
"I love the way women dress in European cities like Paris where they wear a simple dress but accessorize it differently each day – buying fewer, classic, quality pieces that can be worn year after year." 

"Four out of five of us are wearing Miik - I am wearing my favourite dress from this spring - the Tiffany maxi."

What do you love the most about working in fashion? 
"I love the creative process from all sides - from designing the individual pieces and how they come together as a collection, to choosing the models and directing the photo shoots, to designing the final marketing materials. I love every step of the way."

"Wearing my favourite tunic/cover-up from this season - the Nat."

What inspires you everyday? 
"I am so lucky to work with people that are as passionate about Miik as I am and are amazing at what they do. I think our collective positive energy is what inspires us all."

Got Miik?  We do!  ^_~*

Comments

Popular Posts