Vélocipède

Contributed by Emma Callin

With the opening of the Calgary cycle track I've had more requests for "clothing to cycle to work in" - since I don't cycle I decided to ask my sister, Ying, for advice.  Both she and my brother-in-law are cyclists and are out and about on their bicycles in pretty much any weather; even the cooler fall temperatures aren't a deterrent.  

Check out highlights from Ying's sustainable cycling wardrobe below!

Miik dress, Threadless scarf, Fossil bag, Keen sandals, Apple watch.

What type of bicycle do you ride?
"It's a Pure City Crosby - 3 speed internal hub.  I named my bike Peregrine ('Perry' for short) - to peregrinate around.  I always detail my bikes with glow-in-the-dark paint so you can see their names."

Riyoko top & shirtband, Thyme Maternity leggings, Apple watch

How have you personalized your bicycle?
"I have a Miffy bell from the Netherlands and a heavy-duty rack to carry extra weight (like my son, Micah).  I also have a Monkeylight set to rainbow Space Invaders on my front wheel."

Dagg & Stacey top, Yoga Jeans high rise straight, Apple watch.  Laughing child not for sale!  

 How did you get started cycling?
"My husband, Micheal, started cycling because I needed the car when I was pregnant.  And then it went from there.  You always need 'n + 1' bikes (where 'n' is the number you own).  It's a slippery slope.  ^_^" 

Jennifer Glasgow dress, Thyme Maternity leggings, Apple watch.

What do you like about cycling?
"I like being able to get around without worrying about driving or parking or road closures.  Also, cycling is just fun!  Good for anxiety and depression because if you have an anxiety attack you can just pull over.  I get into a state of 'bike zen' when I ride around slowly."

Jennifer Glasgow top, Yoga Jeans high rise ankle, Apple watch

What makes a good cycling outfit?
"Anything is a good cycling outfit.  You just need to go slower or faster - and sometimes you have to ride with your knees turned in with dresses.  A good weighted fabric or a skirt clip is essential if you ride without leggings.  I prefer riding with natural materials next to my skin.  Layers are also essential, and high-waisted bottoms and longer tops are good to keep you covered."

Riyoko dress, Threadless scarf, leggings from Poland, Apple watch.  

What do you love about the Calgary cycle track?
"What's not to love about the cycle track?  It's convenient and safe and the only thing it needs is MORE TRACK.  Right up my street would be nice!"

Riyoko top, leggings, arm & leg warmers, Ibex base layer, Naturalizer boots.  

Space Invaders!  

Photos courtesy of Micheal Jones

Comments

Popular Posts