Bundle Up

Contributed by Emma Callin

It's official - we've had our first snowfall of the season here in Calgary.  But instead of rolling into a little ball and hibernating til spring, how about investing in some great cozy layers?  Being a person more suited to the tropical climate of Singapore I love layering - not just for the added warmth but also the way it adds interest to my outfits.  

Kazz Clothing top, Yoga Jeans high rise skinny, Nicole Bridger jacket, Toodlebunny necklace, Me Too booties.

My first choice for outerwear in the fall is usually very tailored or preppy, often with a bit of inspiration from menswear.  This style is very easy to dress up or down and transitions into early winter well with the simple addition of a scarf.

 Taste Makers blanket scarf, American Eagle jegging, Pillar coat, Blondo boots.

Of course, when winter really gets going I find I need a longer coat to cover my legs.  As I'm quite petite (my father-in-law jokes that I must have shrunk in the wash) this style can be a little overwhelming on my frame.  An easy solution to this is a warm blanket scarf in bright colours or a fun print, which also brings a punch of colour to basic black.

Taste Makers shawl cloak, Frame ripped skinny, Brave Leather belt, Me Too booties.

Dressing warmly doesn't mean wearing shapeless, frumpy outfits either.  Heavier fabrics like fleece can have beautiful drape and are wonderfully soft to the touch.  A bright belt is also great to add waist definition and a pop of colour.

Dagg & Stacey top, Erdaine poncho, American Eagle jegging, Blondo boots.

And for those winter days when we get a chinook, a poncho or cape is just perfect - at least for me.  I don't think I'll ever be like those Calgarians who are comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt as soon as the temperature rises above 0°C!

Photos courtesy of: 

Comments

Popular Posts