Designer Snapshot: Erdaine

Contributed by Emma Callin

Winters in Canada can be brutal, but at least in Calgary we can count on Chinook winds to give us a bit of a break every now and again.  The rapid temperature change can pose problems though - being dressed for -20°C in the morning is not very comfortable in the afternoon at +10°C!  Our solution?  100% merino knits from Erdaine; merino wool is famous for its ability to keep the wearer warm when it's cold and cool when it's hot.

Founded and run by Jenny and Yves, Erdaine uses German knitting technology with fine Italian merino yarn to produce knitwear that is both wonderfully soft and incredibly stylish.  

What's the story behind your company name?
'Erdaine' is made of the Mongolian word "Эрдэн" (erden) which means "gem" that we frenchified. To me, this brand name carries from Mongolia the natural beauty of fine fibres and from France the vibe of fashion. It's personal and I would love to have any customer to build a personal connection with their sweater.

One of two knitting machines.

Who are your style icons?
I cannot see one icon and do not follow much celebrities. But I travel to Europe from time to time and there I see many women with outstanding style. So I would say women in Milan are my style icons.

A design moves from concept to reality through software that works in tandem with the knitting machines. 

What do you love the most about working in fashion? 
Creativity. From sourcing yarns, testing knitting techniques to forecasting trends and molding shapes. This is never ending and this is my passion.

Jenny and Yves of Erdaine. 

What inspires you everyday? 
An object, a piece of art or just nature in the park next to my workshop. I am amazed by the calm, the beauty, the colors, the seasons... this is hard to explain. With Erdaine knitwear, my vision is to bring a little bit of these in the heart of the urban active lifestyle ;)

Comments

Popular Posts