Slow down and love what you wear!

Contributed by Emma Callin

With the seasons changing I can't help but notice all the new and beautiful clothes, accessories and shoes that are available in stores - at times like these it's particularly hard not to go on a shopping spree!  But being a slow fashion advocate means having to practice what I preach: buy less, buy better quality.  Thankfully I have a plan of attack when I start wanting to refresh my closet that is easy on my conscience and my bank account too.

Nicole Bridger top, Taste Makers blanket scarf, skinny Yoga Jeans, J. Crew flats. 

I often invest in statement accessories instead of buying a whole new outfit; even a basic ensemble of t-shirt and jeans can be made eye-catching with a scarf with a cool print or a statement necklace.  Adding one new accessory is usually much less expensive than buying a new piece of clothing.  There's also the added benefit of being able to use one accessory with many different outfits.

We3 top, Jennifer Glasgow skirt, dconstruct necklace & bangles, Naturalizer shoes. 

Now this may seem too basic to actually be a style tip, but tucking a top into a high-waisted bottom can instantly change the look of an outfit.  Besides giving the waist more definition and elongating the appearance of your legs, this can make a casual top work appropriate or more dressy if paired with the right bottoms.  I usually pair my casual jersey tunics with a party skirt in lieu of buying a new dress for events.

Jennifer Glasgow top, skinny Yoga Jeans, Starletta Designs necklace, dconstruct bangles, J. Crew flats.

These days most people ignore old style rules like "no white after Labour Day" that dictate what colours are appropriate for specific seasons.  This means that you can wear pieces in your favourite colours all year round.  An example would be burgundy or deep red - perfect in spring and summer with soft white but also great in fall and winter paired with darker colours.  A lot of my spring/summer clothing can be worn in fall/winter by mixing and matching with different colours and then adding another layer for warmth.  This gives me more options without having to buy anything new.

Emma: Cecile Benac top, Taste Makers skirt, Wolford stockings, Swarovski necklace, Naturalizer boots.
Ying: Nicole Bridger top, Erdaine cardigan, skinny Yoga Jeans, Starletta Designs necklace, Naturalizer shoes. 

Knowing what I already have in my closet and the styles I wear the most is also very helpful.  Before I buy any new item for my wardrobe I ask myself two questions: 1) Do I already have something similar in my closet that I could wear instead? and 2) Would I wear this frequently enough to get my money's worth out of it?  Recently I've also been adding the question Marie Kondo asks: Does this spark joy when I put it on?  This means that I only own items I really enjoy wearing and/or wear frequently.

Nicole Bridger top, Cecile Benac cardigan, skinny Yoga Jeans, Tretorn boots.
And in case you're wondering: Micah is wearing Old Navy and Adidas sneakers!  ^_^

One other method that stops me from indulging in retail therapy is this: for every new item I buy I have to give away or donate an item I already have.  I've never been too strict about it having to be the same type of item (i.e. a sweater for a sweater), but having to give away an article from my closet whenever I want something new makes me re-evaluate how much I want that new item.  This keeps my wardrobe from growing indefinitely and as a side effect it has become a curated collection!

Photos courtesy of Micheal Jones

Comments

Popular Posts