Makeup that makes a difference

Contributed by Emma Callin

Customers frequently ask me if I have any suggestions for shopping ethically outside the realm of women's wear and accessories, with requests for ethical makeup and skincare suggestions being the most common.  Given the amount of green-washing going on in the cosmetics industry, it's very difficult for me to really give an answer, especially since I wear very little makeup on a regular basis - not exactly an expert here. ^_^;

And then.. WorldTown Cosmetics opened right next door!  With a passion for ethically made, sustainable beauty that mirrors our dedication to ethical, sustainable fashion, owner Nicky Speer helps her customers look good and do good socially and environmentally.  

What's the story behind your company name? 
The name is inspired by a song by the artist M.I.A. Beyond just the song title, her image and what she represents was an inspiring factor as well, being a strong voice for equality and the ethical treatment of all people, and such a fashion icon!

Nicky with a selection of what's in her store.

How did you get into the cosmetics industry?
I started playing with makeup when I was about 6, I found my moms eyeliner in grade 2 and wore it to class, I'll never forget how my teacher reacted! By the time I hit junior high school I was getting very experimental with my makeup application, I had not realized it yet, but I was already cultivating myself for a career in makeup.

Not asleep, I promise!  ^_^

Who are your style icons?
I have many style icons, but the ones who first come to mind are Gwen Stefani, Betsey Johnson, hip hop culture, and of course M.I.A.

Transition from day to night looks by simply building colour on the eyes and cheeks!

What inspires you everyday?
What inspires me on a daily basis, first off is my dad, he's an artist and entrepreneur, and his ambition inspires my own. Another major inspiration has always been music for as long as I can remember, no artist or genre in particular, but a little bit of everything!

Photos courtesy of: 

Comments

Popular Posts