Something old, something new

Contributed by Emma Callin

If you follow us on Instagram you've probably noticed that I often visit the revitalized East Village and the Simmons Building in particular - taking an afternoon break with great coffee and excellent pastry is right up my alley, especially if I can enjoy them by the riverside.  With the pace of life speeding up even here in Calgary I find it more and more important to take a moment to just disconnect and relax.


I spent much of my childhood in Singapore, a city known for being clean, efficient and modern.  It's also very hot, very crowded, and everything moves super fast and with plenty of noise - so much so that when I first moved to Calgary I found it hard to sleep in the quiet!  Whenever I go back to visit a lot has changed; buildings are constantly being torn down and new construction is everywhere.  A consequence of this is that most old buildings are simply replaced instead of re-purposed as with the Simmons Building here in Calgary.


To me there is something special about turning an old mattress factory into something new and beautiful while renewing a rundown neighbourhood.  Sure, you could tear the whole thing down and put in something new and modern, but I like how the Simmons Building has become a useful space again while keeping its historical character.  And for a relatively young city like Calgary I think it's particularly necessary to get into the habit of preserving the older districts instead of burying them or letting them decay.


It's the same attitude I have about fashion - throwing out the old is such a waste, especially when it seems like every trend just cycles around again given enough time!  To make an old favourite new again often requires little more than a small alteration here and there (provided the item was well made) or pairing it with something different and unexpected.  Just because something is old doesn't mean it's outmoded or useless.


Like my dad always says: "Age is just a number!"  #slowliving #slowfashion #30wears

Top: Dagg & Stacey / Skirt: Dagg & Stacey (old) / Wedges: Aldo (old) / Necklace: handmade by an aunt!

Makeup courtesy of: 

Photos courtesy of: 

Comments

Popular Posts