#packlesslivemore

Contributed by Emma Callin

Back when I was still teaching I remember supervising an outdoor education camping trip for the grade 8 and 9 students - just one weekend and we'd be staying in cabins.  Despite being out in the mountains with over 100 adolescents, the only issue that really remains in my memory was figuring out how to pack all the students' luggage on the bus!  The majority of the students had brought two full-sized wheeled suitcases... EACH.  I sometimes wonder what they would have brought if we had been backpacking and tenting instead.

Packing too much for a vacation seems to be pretty normal for most people but is absolutely out of the question when on a motorcycle trip.  Unless you're going to hitch a trailer to your bike there is very limited cargo space - even more so when you travel with a passenger.    

Tees (left to right): Comma Apparel (old), Brandy Melville (old), Aritzia
Joggers: Nicole Bridger / Boyfriend jeans: Second Yoga Jeans (both old but still available)

We usually take a long weekend for our motorcycle road trips and I've figured out that a miniature capsule wardrobe with pieces that mix and match with each other works perfectly.  The three tops above can all be worn with both bottoms: this gives me six outfit combinations I can choose from over three days.  More importantly this guarantees that I always have something to change into if we get caught in a sudden rain shower or get splashed with mud.  

Rain boots: Tretorn (old) / Sneakers: Adidas Originals

I also bring my rain boots in case it starts to pour and sneakers for when the weather is hot.  I wouldn't advise flipflops or slip-on flats - besides the fact that you don't want to lose a shoe at speed on the highway, any gravel thrown up on the road might hit the exposed top of your foot.  


Jacket: Icon / Rain pants: MEC

Last but not least I'm nearly always wearing my motorcycle jacket and I always have my rain pants rolled up in the nearest side bag.  It's also important to pack a set of base and mid layers in case the weather turns cold; when motorcycling through the Rocky Mountains you're never sure what you're going to get!  

Comments

Popular Posts