PARKLUXE: Backstage Survival Guide

PARK has certainly grown over the years, from early shows at the Winter Garden in Jamieson Place to this year's PARKLUXE at the new National Music Centre.  I've often attended and always enjoyed myself, though I've frequently wondered what goes on behind the scenes - so last weekend I decided to volunteer for set-up and back-of-house instead.  It was a lot of hard work and a very different experience from sitting in the front row, but it was so worth it.  See below for a few tips if you want to volunteer yourself, I'd definitely recommend it! 

The view from backstage
  • Make sure you have a water bottle and some snacks.  There was food provided but I'm always hungrier when I'm running around a lot.  Having small snacks to tide me over was essential, as was staying hydrated.  Choose snacks that are easy to eat and don't leave a mess; dirty fingers on couture is a very bad idea!  

Each look is carefully prepped in order for each model.

  • Dress comfortably, especially your shoes.  Both set-up and back-of-house duties kept me on my feet and running around a lot: VIP swag bags had to be filled, seating needed to be arranged, clothing needed to be steamed, outfits needed to be coordinated and cataloged, models needed help switching outfits, guests needed directions and information, areas needed clean up.  As a person who prefers to be busy rather than bored, I loved the energy - plus I was loaded with quite a lot of caffeine!  ^_^;  

Paul Hardy makes some last minute adjustments backstage.
  • Be flexible.  A big event means there's always something to do, so you might get asked to do something you hadn't signed up for or they might need you to stay a bit later to get everything done.  If you notice someone looking stressed out, don't be afraid to offer to help them.  Being willing to help is just as important as being able to help.  

One of the models waits backstage.  You can see the tiny changing area on the right.
  • Finally, but most importantly, stay positive.  Big event = lots to do = lots of stress.  Contributing to a positive atmosphere does wonders for everyone's mood and helps smooth out any problems along the way.  

Looking up - the National Music Centre is five floors of breathtaking beauty!

Volunteering behind the scenes with PARK was a lot of work but also a lot of fun!  Being involved gives me an even greater appreciation for what the team at PARK has accomplished so far and makes me excited to see what they have planned for the future.  

Comments

Popular Posts