Beauty Detox: The Switch

Like most people I like to stick to a routine when it comes to my beauty products, but after finding out how many beauty companies still test on animals as well as actually starting to read all the ingredients of what I'm putting on my skin I decided it was time for a change.  Over the last year or so I've been slowing switching my beauty products over to more natural, cruelty-free alternatives - see below for what I used to use and what I'm using now!  


Skincare (combination dry skin)

  • Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cleanser => Fitglow Super C Cleanser
  • Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2 => distilled witch hazel
  • Clinique Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief => Fitglow Super C Cream
  • Clinique Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector => Fitglow Super C Serum 

My thoughts: Fitglow's Super C line is just as effective and more gentle on my skin than my previous products, though the Fitglow regimen is slightly more expensive even considering less frequent application and need to repurchase.  My only problem is that the cleanser is no longer available and the whole line comes in packaging that is not travel-friendly (glass bottle for the cleanser and no way to lock the pump dispensers).  As for using witch hazel as a toner I highly recommend it - besides cleansing it also calms any redness in my skin, plus it's useful for treating bug bites and sore muscles (multi-use and cheaper is a win-win in my books).


Haircare (thick, coarse, fairly porous straight hair, slightly oily scalp, not coloured)

  • Bumble & Bumble Invisible Oil Shampoo => Avalon Organics Lavender Nourishing Shampoo 
  • Bumble & Bumble Invisible Oil Conditioner => Avalon Organics Peppermint Strengthening Conditioner 
  • Bumble & Bumble Invisible Oil Primer & Bumble & Bumble Hairdresser's Invisible Oil => Andalou Naturals BB Argan & Sweet Orange Styling Cream

My thoughts: More natural, makes my scalp happier and overall a heck of a lot cheaper!  Easy to find in most grocery stores here in Calgary too.  I also use Avalon Organics Lemon Clarifying Shampoo in the summer time or in more humid climates.


Bath & Body Care (dry lips, eczema-prone dry skin)

  • L'Occitane Shea Butter Extra Gentle Lavender Soap => Rocky Mountain Soap Goat's Milk Soap
  • Caudalie Crushed Cabernet Scrub => Neal's Yard Remedies Seaweed Salt Scrub
  • L'Occitane Lavender Hand Cream => Neal's Yard Remedies Bee Lovely Hand Cream 
  • L'Occitane Lavender Organic Body Lotion => Rocky Mountain Soap Lavender Body Butter 
  • Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Rose => Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask in Smashed 

My thoughts: Same price point and everything works just as well if not better.  The solid body butters by Rocky Mountain Soap are also very travel-friendly and I love their Citrus Mint Outdoor Body Butter for a natural alternative to DEET that is also moisturizing.  They do, however, need to be warmed up before application in the winter here, as does the Agave Lip Mask by Bite Beauty.  I also find that the Seaweed Salt Scrub from Neal's Yard Remedies has a tendency to clog the nozzle so I usually unscrew the top to dispense it instead.

Which natural beauty products are you loving?  

Comments

Popular Posts