January update: Sales & Snags

January was definitely a tough time to decide to go cold turkey and not buy any clothes this year - between post Boxing Day sales and new spring releases, it was really hard not to shop last month.  I never really thought about how easily influenced I am by all the brightly-coloured sale signs until I had to resist them!  Besides all the advertising tempting me to look at things I wasn't that interested in at full price, a lot of ethical designers were also holding online sales including pieces I love... but I really couldn't use shopping ethically as an excuse to buy something I definitely didn't need.  

My usual temptations: quirky dresses, graphic tees, rompers & jumpsuits...

I will admit that I did buy something I needed though: a new pair of semi-sheer black tights (or pantyhose, or nylons, whatever you call 'em).  I know I'm not the only petite person who struggles to find tights that fit properly - even the smallest sizes on many brands are so long that the waistband usually goes up to my armpits - not to mention the problem with how easily the cheap brands snag, run or tear.  So this time instead of buying a cheap pair from the drugstore I bought a pair from Wolford, a company that fits me comfortably and lasts more than a week of wear (I have an opaque pair from Wolford that I still wear that I bought five years ago).  

Jacob sweater: 9 years old / Anthropologie skirt: 3 years old  
Me Too booties: 5 years old / Fossil necklace: 3 years old

Wolford certainly is more pricey at first glance, but considering I won't need to buy a new pair for at least a year it's actually less expensive than having to buy a new cheap pair every week!  

Comments

Popular Posts