#30wears

Making sure you can get 30 wears out of an item of clothing before buying it is a great idea but somewhat difficult to put into practice - many people find it difficult to envision outfit combinations with what they have at home when standing in a store's changing room debating whether to purchase.  Most people don't have a wardrobe database built into their computer (like in Clueless), let alone their memory! 


When considering a new purchase I add the item to my wish list and/or compare it to my "useful things" list, which usually helps me eliminate most of what I initially think I want.  If I still want the item, the next step is figuring out how many times I'll wear it.  I usually base this on a few criteria:

  • Is the item multi-seasonal?  With our short summers it's usually best to choose something that can easily be converted for cold weather wear.  
  • Can it be worn with my favourite basics?  I tend to wear the same pieces on repeat in combination with other items (like the sweater and booties featured, also worn here). Taking a picture of a potential purchase or checking it out online at home helps me compare it to my closet staples.  
  • Would this piece require me to purchase another item to complete the outfit?  If I need to buy something else to make the outfit work then it's not versatile enough for my current wardrobe.  


How do you figure out what pieces are a good investment to add to your wardrobe?

Top: Jacob (old) / Skirt: Aritzia (gift from Mum) / Booties: Me Too (old) / Necklace: Fossil (old)

Photos: Nicole Wee 

Comments

Popular Posts