Faux pas

Years ago at a previous job a coworker called me out on wearing the same outfit twice in one week.  More recently an acquaintance chastised me over wearing the same dress for my husband's office Christmas party as I did for a friend's wedding six months later (she spotted it on Facebook).  There's nothing new about this behaviour; there are several news articles about how it's now a faux pas to be seen wearing the same thing more than once, especially if it's recorded on social media.  


Call me old-fashioned, but I find this to be extremely weird.  Maybe it's because until high school I'd spent the majority of my weeks in school uniform, but wearing the same thing multiple times has never struck me as embarrassing or undesirable.  Maybe it's because when studying Canadian history I read about prairie settlers who would take turns going to school because they only had one good set of clothes to share between them.  Allowing other people and/or social media to dictate how often I can wear an outfit is ridiculous in a modern society that champions freedom of choice and lifestyle.  


So yeah, you've seen me wear this top before.  But it's digitally-printed and locally-made with dinosaurs on it, so you can bet I'm going to wear it whenever I can!

Comments

Popular Posts