Worth

I actually really liked getting and wearing hand-me-downs growing up; my mom is the youngest of a large family so we occasionally got large boxes in the mail of used clothing from my aunts and older cousins.  Given the 18 year age difference between my mom and her oldest sister, several of the clothes in the box would be beautifully made vintage pieces that I still wear today.  


I love looking through old family albums and finding faded photographs of relatives wearing a piece I currently own when it first became fashionable in the 1960's and 70's.  As both a fashion and history enthusiast this gives more meaning and worth to the hand-me-downs I treasure today - I find my modern purchases are also driven by having a personal connection to the story behind a piece.  


These statement earrings by Talee, for instance, are designed and made by a Malaysian designer who named her company and her designs using words from Bahasa Melayu, with the knotted design of her work deeply connected with her father.  My parents are both born in Malaysia and are both speakers of Bahasa; these earrings are reminders of my family and my heritage.  As Dad lives in Singapore I don't get to see him often either, so wearing these are a way of keeping him close. 

What's the story behind your favourite pieces? 

Knot earrings: Talee  
Linotype matrix necklace: Buenostyle (old)
Ring: vintage (old) 
Dress: Miss Sixty (old)

Photos: Nicole Wee

Comments

Popular Posts