Force of habit

When talking about making the switch to ethical fashion a lot of articles talk about changing the way we shop, but what exactly does that mean?  Shopping habits are exactly that - habits - and for better or worse those aren't easy to change.  What really changed things for me was trying to go all of last year without buying any clothes, shoes, or accessories, something that forced me to evaluate what I had in my closet more closely as well as take apart my own shopping habits.  


It all started with a list.  I like to window-shop, so to prevent myself making impulsive purchases I started keeping a list of the stuff I liked but didn't need which I could compare to what I already owned.  Comparing my wish list to my existing closet led to another two lists: a list of useful wardrobe additions to look out for, and a list of styles, fabrics, and colours I prefer and wear frequently (yes, I happen to enjoy keeping organizers and neatly filled out calendars ^_^;).  The first list changes frequently, especially after comparison to the two other lists - usually I've lost interest in the piece after a week or so, or it doesn't go with anything else in my closet, or I decide I'd prefer to spend the money on a useful item instead. 


Even in situations where I'm not shopping for something specific, keeping those three lists in the back of my mind (and on my phone) has helped immensely in keeping a more curated closet.  A good example is when I'm on holiday - instead of buying a touristy souvenir I try to pick up something from a local designer or artist.  Comparing any item against my lists keeps me from being overwhelmed by choice and also helps me choose something that I'll get a lot of wear out of and will work with the rest of my wardrobe.  A perfect example is this tunic I picked up from a Japanese vintage shop: I wear a lot of navy and white, prefer lace and embroidery embellishments, and love the babydoll silhouette in tunics and dresses. 

What have you found helpful in changing your shopping habits? 

Photos: Nicole Wee

Comments

Popular Posts